What is a regenerative treatment?
What are the latest types of regenerative therapies?
One of the most prevalent regenerative treatments consist of stimulation of injured areas using mechanical devices to attract the body’s natural healing capabilities. Similar to a back rub, which makes your back feel better by stimulating blood flow to the muscles, these devices, such as Shockwave and Low Light or Cold Laser, create micro disruptions in the tissue to spur low level inflammation which triggers the body’s own healing.
The newest biotechnology is the use of Amnion.
What is amnion and where does it come from?
Amnion is collected non-invasively during the birthing of healthy animals. Animal owners with pregnant pets allow the collection during normal birthing of those newborns. All deliveries are veterinarian assisted with health and safety of the animals as the paramount concern.
Is Amnion used in humans?
How and why does this technology work?
Injuries in animals are similar to a tornado ripping a house from its foundation. All of the parts of the tissue that are injured are scattered around and left structurally damaged or weakened. Once the trauma is over the pain starts and we emerge from our cellar to assess the damage. The body responds by initiating hemostasis (blood clotting) within minutes and begins the process of inflammation.
Inflammation is the way that the body makes its call out for help to make the pain stop and repair the injury. Here in lies the challenge. Typically, the volunteers who can get to the damaged area lack the skills needed to help rebuild and the ones that are needed can’t get there because of the remoteness of the location. You know, the old duct tape and bailing wire analogy.
The body works in a very similar way. In conformationally compromised areas like certain parts of the legs and joints, the body lacks the blood flow to these areas to get the necessary “material” there to repair the damaged tissue. Similar to your volunteers, the inflammation recruits what material it can get and starts to rebuild with that, even though it may not be structurally sound or cosmetically appealing. Hence, we get proud flesh and scar tissue as a result.
In an effort to help this process and rebuild properly after a tornado, we reach out to a building contractor whose skilled team rebuilds the home to its original specification.
Until now, we have done the very same thing in treating damaged ligaments and tendons. We have treated the injury with bone marrow or adipose stem cells sending in the construction team to rebuild the tissue. The issue here is that we are simply sending more home builders, project managers, and some bricks to rebuild the tissue but are not providing the material needed to rebuild the extra cellular matrix (ECM), which are the components damaged in any injury. ECM is the mortar that holds cells together to create connective tissue. Using Amniotic Material is like air dropping not only the construction team, but a container full of these basic components needed to rebuild the house. This material comes with all of the foundational “mortar” needed to connect those bricks together and rebuild that tissue to its genetic specification much like it did for the fetus in the womb.
What are the advantages over other treatments?
- Safer because it is non-invasive – Does not require painful harvesting of bone marrow or fat or the risk of sedation or anesthetics.
- Better because amniotic material is fetal material safely collected during parturition as opposed to coming from an aged or potential unhealthy adult source. Adult cells and material are more inconsistent due to relying on the health and age of the donor. The adult cells are also multipotent which limits the types of differentiation based on their harvested source. Amnion was pivotal in the growth of the entire new born animal and contains all the basic building blocks of healthy tissue.
- Faster because amnion is immune privileged – It is the Miracle of Birth. Amnion lacks the blood antigens that would normally elicit an inflammatory immune response which means the body will not recognize it as a foreign tissue. This means that amnion can be processed and “banked” and used on any animal as a regenerative treatment same day or next day.
- Lower Cost because it does not require shipping of the collection kit for a fat or bone marrow sample, the time to culture it for a month, or the need for multiple applications.
- Finally, it is more convenient because the veterinarian is not required to make a substantial investment in training or harvesting equipment and treatments can be performed in the field.
- Above all, we are able to treat immediately during the acute inflammatory phase when the most inflammation exists allowing a much better and quicker repair to the tissue.